I’m the sort of person with a mind flowing with ideas for both for myself and others. However, like the majority of people, PROCRASTINATION is my problem when it comes to sitting down and DOING something about those ideas.
All sorts of successful and creative people “suffer” from procrastination.
The “adult” inside knows that something has to be done to achieve what is needed in a certain period of time, while the “child” inside is looking for “instant gratification”, distraction and pleasure - whether this is binge eating, scrolling through completely irrelevant stuff on the internet, or anything else; If it gives us temporary pleasure and numbs the negative feelings, we’ll do it!! The “adult” knows that if the “child” is not satisfied, then that inner child can reap havoc!
'The creative adult is the child who has survived.' Ursula K. Le Guin
What is it like being a child? A child at toddlerhood is completely connected, taking their time to be open, explore and express - without the pressure of deadlines. Creativity needs to be allowed it’s time. Creativity is INSPIRATION. Inspiration is connection to Infinite Intelligence (Source). Connection to Source requires Space and Time.
Did you know that the word “Inspiration” comes from the Latin word “Spiritus” and means the allowing of the spirit (or infinite intelligence) to work in and through you? Inspiration is fundamentally surrendering to your higher self, or God.
Imagine yourself at your most creative. You are completely connected! It’s almost like you’re not the one “doing it”. Like some force is flowing through you and you are “channeling” this brilliance into your project. Just like a young child, absorbed in the task at hand and diligently working to achieve it. When the doubtful (adult) mind comes in, the flow of inspiration is blocked.
Basically, we are beings of pleasure and deserve to experience that, guilt free. And this is the interesting part: When we do open up to our pleasure and allow ourselves to stop worrying; when we surrender to the present moment, inspiration occurs.
What is the antidote for Procrastination? Inspiration.
How can I be inspired? By relaxing and allowing myself to enjoy pleasure.
What is the fastest and easiest way to relax and surrender? CONSCIOUS BREATHING.
So the “rules” that work for me when I’m procrastinating are:
1. Forgive yourself for all of those feelings of frustration, failure, guilt and any other criticism you are using to beat yourself up. You are just doing something that is in your nature, i.e., wanting to have fun and relax. After all, we weren’t created to meet deadlines were we? AFFIRMATION: IT’S OK TO RELAX AND SURRENDER.
2. Satisfy the “child”… Remember, it is normal to want instant gratification and comfort when feeling pressurized. AFFIRMATION: I NOW ALLOW MYSELF TO SATISFY THE CHILD INSIDE.
3. When you’ve exhausted your pleasure ratio, don’t let the “panic monster” ruin the time you have left to still create something marvelous. Take control by taking a deep breath, understanding that with one conscious breath you can get the energy moving again. AFFIRMATION: USING MY BREATH CONNECTS ME TO THE SOURCE OF MY INSPIRATION.
4. Relax with your exhale, allowing the “space between your thoughts” to open up with some gentle circular breathing. AFFIRMATION: I SURRENDER TO INSPIRATION
5. Pick up your pen and just start writing. Regardless of how relevant what you’re writing is, just trust that it is a beginning and will develop into what you want… AFFIRMATION: I LOVE DOING.
6. Love and accept yourself even if you’re a procrastinator. AFFIRMATION: I LOVE AND ACCEPT MYSELF EXACTLY AS I AM.
7. Don’t forget to use humor and have fun!! AFFIRMATION: LIFE IS EASY.
In Truth, Simplicity and Love!
Breath Master, International Rebirther/Breathworker